Safelayer has just presented its new identification, authentication and e-signature (eIDAS) platform at the World eID (Marseille) and the ISSE 2014"Securing Assets across Europe" (Brussels) international conferences as the tool to fast-forward the implementation of the new eIDAS regulation thanks to the right balance of i) user and application convenience and ii) security and trust by taking full advantage of the new technologies and environments offered by the Social, Mobile and Cloud triad.
With the new Regulation 910/2014 (23 July 2014) on electronic identification and trust services for electronic transactions in the internal market, eIDAS, which repeals the e-signature directive (1999/93/EC), the European Commission plans to implement the vision of an electronic identification, authentication and signature infrastructure under the maxim of “trust and convenience” with the aim of widespread and better uptake by all EU citizens.
Safelayer is fully aligned with this vision and has an innovative technological solution to help shape the new regulatory environment. Safelayer's eIDAS platform converts "static security and trust" infrastructures into ones that bring "adaptive and convenient security and trust” to applications and users. It provides i) trust management in authentication and e-signing, ii) new, easy-to-use identification mechanisms, and iii) Web APIs designed for quick integration in applications.
In the conferences Safelayer attended, other important electronic identification initiatives included the German “eIDAS Token” e-ID and the FIDO alliance. These proposals constitute diametrically opposed approaches. The first is a high-security government initiative with complex protocols and procedures that do little to enhance user convenience. While the second is a private initiative sponsored by major Internet companies that primarily offers convenience and interoperability between different online services, although, in reality, it is not a system of verified and recognized identities. The integration of the FIDO mechanisms in an electronic identity platform such as Safelayer's allows registering and associating these open mechanisms to verified identities, which provides a better balance between convenience and trust.
According to Francisco Jordan, CEO and cofounder of Safelayer, "We are seeing initiatives in line with the vision of the eIDAS regulation through the introduction of new, less secure but more convenient identifiers that complement the existing certificate-based identifiers”. "However, in our opinion, it is necessary to harness what is currently a massive pole of attraction for citizens, consumers, developers, companies, organizations and the cyber public in general, i.e., the social networks, smart devices and Cloud computing", adds Jordan.
Safelayer's eIDAS platform provides the following unique characteristics and properties that make it ideal for implementing and deploying the new vision for the market and regulations:
- It incorporates and is interoperable with the main integration and access protocols for social applications and the Cloud — those developed and used by the major service providers (Google, Amazon, Micorsoft, Salesforce, etc.) and the biggest social networks (Facebook, Twitter, etc.) with great success.
- It supports integration with social identifiers based on a shared key agreement authentication mechanism, which means users do not have to create a new identifier and can use their favorite identifier for tasks such as communicating with state agencies.
- The password is a low security mechanism and having many of them is inconvenient for users. The platform provides an authentication system incorporating single sign-on (SSO) and adaptive federation that improves security through transparent elevation via context elements and an automatic jump to a higher security mechanism when the risk or the application requires it.
- For very secure authentication and e-signature that provides recognition and non-repudiation with strong assurances, the digital certificate continues to be the best mechanism. The integration and use of this mechanism in smart mobile devices is clearly the most viable future alternative for providing the greatest convenience without sacrificing maximum security.
- More and more public and private organizations and companies are reducing costs by using resources in the cloud and software as a service (SaaS). Public servants, citizens, employees and consumers must be able to easily use their electronic identifiers with the maximum convenience and security to access and use resources that are increasingly being placed in the Cloud.
Safelayer's technology platform was born out of a clear intention to make it compatible for both public and private use, as occurs already with the Web and the Internet.
"These and other characteristics of Safelayer's eIDAS platform were presented and demonstrated publicly with great acceptation, which clearly supports our vision that the only thing that can achieve large scale success in cyberspace is that which is perfectly aligned and integrated in the practices and uses of the network of networks, the Internet. New economies of scale concepts such as the Social/Mobile/Cloud Economy and the API Economy demonstrate this", concludes Francisco Jordan.